Friday 8 April 2016

When Ziggy Played Guitar by Dylan Jones

When Ziggy Played Guitar is a fan book from the earliest days of David Bowie’s career and the first appearances of Ziggy Stardust. It goes into great detail about Ziggy's debut, especially his TV appearances on “Top of the Pops” and the effects they had on people - especially the author. I have read a lot of books about musicians and bands; this is written by an avid fan.

Fan books can be a problem as their idols tend to be viewed through rose-coloured glasses and this can seriously affect the writing. As such this can be a little hard going with detail, detail, detail. Don’t get me wrong as I am a fan too and of course I wanted to be HIM. My niece used to tell people that I looked like him, but that must have been in my more skeletal stage.

Back then everyone dressed up as as Ziggy, applied the makeup got into the jump suit and went to that party. Well maybe not everyone but I certainly did. Everyone certainly has a memory of a Bowie song - Ziggy Stardust, Heroes, Scary Monsters and Super Creeps, DJ and any number of others. Find your own David Bowie, we all have one.

The library has 9 books 3 CDs and 2 DVDs on David Bowie alone plus numerous .appearances in other material

Posted by The Library Cat

Catalogue link: When Ziggy Played Guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment