Tuesday 30 August 2016

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

This book was recommended to me by a couple of customers, and  says on the cover "2016's most talked-about new thriller".
The premise was reminiscent of the Madeleine McCann case: a couple leave their baby home alone while they go for dinner to their next-door neighbours; only to have the horror of coming home to an empty cot.  A media frenzy follows,as well as a lot of dysfunctional family fallout. Many secrets come to light: voyeuristic neighbours, post-natal depression, money problems and controlling in-laws.

This thriller has lots of twists and turns which did keep me reading to the end.
Overall my problem was that I did not have sympathy with any of the characters in this book (except for the baby).
This is a first thriller for Shari Lapena and I would admit I seem to be in the minority with my opinions of this book, so I would be interested to know what others think of The Couple Next Door.
Perhaps I have just read too many of this type of book in recent times; The Couple Next Doors strengths are its pacy plot and it is a good quick read.

Reviewed by Katrina

Catalogue link:  The Couple Next Door

No comments:

Post a Comment