Wednesday 24 June 2020

Film: The Public, written & directed by Emilio Estevez


When this film was first announced, I'm sure like me, other librarians across the globe were full of anticipation, albeit slightly skeptical, about a library themed feature film. It was a film which, on the surface, seemed to promise a behind-the-scenes glimpse of reality that we could point at and say 'That! that's what libraries are really like' to everyone who doesn't get it - humanity, in all it's states of undress, not just books and cardigans. 

Life happens and finally this week I got around to watching the DVD. Let me say, do not be put off by the opening sequence, which is an old school recruitment advertisement for librarians. Do not be put off because the edgy, winter grim and a cast of imperfect characters quickly reveal this is no library biopic, instead it's a film that questions, holds up a mirror to discrimination, and frustrates with the way that agendas and power play out, instead of compassion and basic human dignity.

At times I watched with a sense of dread at how events were going to end - essentially the story revolves around a group of homeless men, who with no where else to go refuse to leave the library in the middle of a bitterly cold winter, staging a sit-in protest. It's their library too after all (an interesting theme of democracy raises it's head). There are moments where the tension feels ready to explode and resonates with current BLM protests going on around the globe. However, the film a little too conveniently avoids this eventuating, and this is my only criticism. A few cliches here and there are easily forgiven, but the full punch this film could pack is reduced somewhat by its wrapped up ending. Although, with a top-notch cast and engaging story-line, importantly this thought provoking film triggered a fair amount of discussion afterwards at my place and really, that's the outcome Estevez may have been aiming for. All things considered, I rate this movie 3.75 stars. Well worth watching. 


Reviewed by Jaime
   

1 comment:

  1. I would watch this, just to see Michael K Williams. How much screen time does he get? Of course it's going to have a cheesy wrap up at the end, I'd like to see it, but I don't know if I could handle the cheese and stereotype of a Librarian watching a film out about a Librarian...

    ReplyDelete