Wednesday 2 December 2020

Three of the Best Quirky Reads for 2020

I’m not usually a fan of quirky stories with unique characters that I find hard to assimilate with but this year things have been different (something to do with a certain world event maybe?). Here are three quirky reads that took me by surprise:



Calling Major Tom by David Barnett
Scientist, but definitely not an astronaut, Thomas Major is a real grump. Through a very unlikely series of events he ends up on a one-way, one-man journey to Mars to plant seeds. Okay this is a British space programme so maybe it’s not all that unlikely?! Down on Earth the Ormerod family are facing their own unique set of challenges with Gladys the forgetful Nan, science-mad, bullied James and very responsible teenage Ellie holding them altogether. When Nan starts to communicate with Thomas life is turned on its head. Great characters, heart-warming story and a whole lot of laughter which had me singing David Bowie’s song Ground Control to Major Tom every time I opened the pages. 

Anthony Peardew is the Keeper of Lost Things. Just before the death of his beloved fiancee, he loses a very precious keepsake which inspires him to collect small everyday lost objects. They become the inspiration to write stories always with the hope that one day they will be returned to their rightful owners. But as he nears the end of his life he needs to find someone else to continue his mission. There is much more to this story than this and it’s all told with light humour, quirkiness and all-round warm fuzzies. 

The Nancys by R W R McDonald
Although this novel had good reviews and was shortlisted for two Ngaio Marsh awards I kept putting it to the bottom of my to-read pile. The only reason I eventually read this book is because the main character, eleven year old Tippy Chan, loves her uncle’s old Nancy Drew mysteries. Like Tippy and her Uncle Pike I too really really wanted to be Nancy Drew and have real-life adventures. Unlike me, Tippy, Pike and his boyfriend, glam Sydneysider Devon, experience real-life adventure and solve a mystery all from a small Otago town. I loved the over the top, totally un-pc uncles who you probably shouldn’t leave alone with any child. Just like the Nancy Drew novels I want more from the Nancys.

Posted by Miss Moneypenny

No comments:

Post a Comment