Thursday 21 January 2016

My reading mojo; where is it?

Each year I write myself a list of goals. I refuse to call these New Year's resolutions, they are merely what I want to achieve this year and writing the list helps me focus. Yes I will even stick the list on my fridge so I see them constantly (I take a lot of trips to the fridge). One of my goals for this year is to catch up on my reading. I really lost my reading mojo last year and wondered if it would ever return. The price of a busy life I guess. As a working mother something or someone else always comes first and that's just the way it is. So what am I going to do about it?

Here is my supposedly simple recipe for success;
  • Make a list of my favorite authors - (Don't start with too many, I don't want to overwhelm myself with the potential enormity of the task)
  • Look them up on the library catalogue to see what new titles I haven't read (Note to self - Don't freak you will discover you have read some of that humongous list you just don't remember them. That will come a couple of pages in…)
  • Place holds (or if they are on the shelf walk there and pick them yourself so as not to incur the wrath of your colleague who picks the holds)
  • While waiting for books to arrive set up a cosy reading space to escape to. 
And here is where the real problem began! If you are a mum reading this you know that alone time can be rare even when doing things like going to the bathroom. Our children often have no idea of personal space or boundaries. So I decided to see what type of spaces other people use for their reading time. A quick search for reading nook ideas on Pintrest showed me how woefully inept any areas of my humble abode are for this task.

Pinterest 
Window seat
Reality = insert picture here (in your imagination, I'm not game to actually show you) of a window seat covered in washing waiting to be folded and and barely see through windows waiting to be washed. Is that a bullet hole? No whew just a Halloween decal from last October…










Daybed in conservatory
Reality =  Front porch/sunroom come storage area with an old single bed plus mattress on the floor for when mokos stay. Minus pillows cause you have got round to buying them yet











This was getting depressing. After reviewing a number of potential ideas including an outside gazebo that still exists only in our dreams I realized I have more goals to add to my list.

1. Schedule serious housekeeping tasks - this may cut into reading time!

2. Get some DIY books out from library for the husband!

3. Write a list of DIY goals for him to go with them.

4. Fix the lock on the bathroom door.


Posted by Cookie Fan


No comments:

Post a Comment