Tuesday 8 March 2016

Family Tree Connections

I have been using Ancestory.com through the Library for a number of years and I have created an on-line Family tree with their software (My-Heritage).  When I have time I try and add more information. I find using photos helps to bring it alive, even if it is photos of gravestones.

Recently I was contacted by a lady in England about her father, who had been fostered out as a child. He had never spoken of his birth family and it was all a bit of a mystery. She had been talking to some Scottish family-tree people who found her father’s birth certificate and from that her grandfather’s details. She started searching the net and discovered that his details were on my tree.

She never knew she had any relations at all and then she discovered us in New Zealand. Then from some information I had given her she discovered more relatives in Calgary, Canada. She found more information that I hadn’t been aware of, so this has opened a whole new branch for my tree as well.

Her sister was coming out to Melbourne to see her brother and they both decided to come over to New Zealand to say hello. They recently stayed with us, we showed them around Hastings and they have now headed down to the South Island. While they were with us, we Skyped the original sister back in England and had a good old chat. Quite interesting to actually talk to someone who you have been corresponding with for so long.

Having a living connection is very encouraging and sometimes a new set of eyes can see data that you may have overlooked or they may ask a question you hadn’t thought to ask. The more people doing it, the easier it becomes.

You can access Ancestory.com and FindmyPast databases, free at Hastings District Libraries.

Posted by R Meyers

Database Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment