Thursday 2 November 2017

The Caller by Chris Carter

I read a lot of crime books. In fact, I would take a guess that about 95% of all books I read are crime books. This means that it takes a special kind of book to give me the goose bumps, make me double check that all my locks are actually locked and to make sure I am not being watched.

Recently, I came across a book called The Caller by Chris Carter. I speed through it and as it was the eighth book in the series, I knew I needed to read the rest of his books as quickly as possible. It didn’t matter what order they arrived in, I was reading them as quickly as I could get my hands on them.
The Caller opens with Tanya picking up a video call from her best friend, Karen. It quickly becomes a nightmare as Karen is gagged and bound and if the voice at the end of the phone is to be believed, her fate lies in Tanya’s hands. The police believe that it is a one off crime but the phone calls keep rolling in and the victims begin to pile up. It is up to Robert Hunter and Carlos Garcia, partners who work for the UVC (Ultra-Violent Crimes) Unit within the Los Angeles Police Department, to catch the killer before it is too late.

Robert Hunter is an interesting main character. He has flown through the ranks at the LAPD and has been approached to join the FBI many times over the years. His thesis is even compulsory reading for any FBI agent during their time at Quantico. After the early deaths of both his parents he struggles with insomnia. He spends a lot of his time reading and so in true Sherlock fashion he is a wealth of knowledge about anything you could think of.

Chris Carter was born in Brazil and later moved to America where he studied psychology and criminal behaviour. Chris has been involved in interviewing over 100 serial killers, murderers and violent criminals. Following on from this he spent 10 years as a guitarist for Glam Rock bands. His book Evil Minds is based on some of these criminals he spent time with and I think it is the most chilling book to date.

Reviewed by Kristin Clothier

Catalogue link:  The Caller

No comments:

Post a Comment