Sunday 24 November 2019

Results May Vary by Bethany Chase

As soon as I was introduced to Caroline and Adam I knew I was going to love this story. They live in the fabulous city of New York and Caroline has the envious profession of art museum curator. I mean who doesn’t want to look at art all day! Now add the juicy detail that husband Adam is having an affair and you have all the makings of a complex love story.

Except this is more than a he-wronged-her-will-they-get-back-together love story. There is the complication that Adam had an affair with a man. Even more compelling for the reader is that Caroline believes that they madly truly love each other; that they are soul mates. Surprisingly for me (yes I became truly invested in their relationship), Adam doesn’t want to end their marriage. He writes in a letter to Caroline “My love is made of everything between us, every moment of every precious year and it is still growing”. Did I say he is a writer?

So absorbed am I in their story that I want to be in there with them: listening to Caroline as she comes to terms with Adam’s betrayal, helping her discover who she is without him, and whether she can trust him or in fact any man again. Sadly I am on the outside so she can’t hear me yell “No! No! No! Don’t do that!” when she does something I don’t approve of.

Fortunately there are actual characters who provide wonderful support and touches of humour in the form of her best friend, the very attractive Jonathan, and her sister Ruby whose boyfriend just broke up with her. I could have given Ruby advice as well.

I know this poignant love story is just a work of fiction but I am hopeful that Caroline will find love and happiness again.

Well written and absorbing, I await more from this talented writer.

Posted by Miss Moneypenny

Catalogue link: Results May Vary

No comments:

Post a Comment