Thursday 12 December 2019

Kristen's 2019 Top 10 (in no particular order)


They Both Die at the End – Adam Silvera
On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They’re going to die today.”

Spoiler alert: The title says it all and that doesn’t make it any easier when it happens.

Silver - Chris Hammer
“For half a lifetime, journalist Martin Scarsden has run from his past. But now there is no escaping. He'd vowed never to return to his hometown, Port Silver, and its traumatic memories… Martin arrives to find his best friend from school days brutally murdered…With the police curiously reluctant to pursue other suspects, Martin goes searching for the killer and finds the past waiting for him.”

Scrublands was one of my favourite books from 2018 and this book didn’t disappoint me.

Hangman – Jack Heath
 “Timothy Blake, codename Hangman. Blake is a genius, known for solving impossible cases. He's also a sociopath - the FBI's last resort. Timothy Blake has a secret, one so dark he will do anything to keep it hidden. He also has a price. Every time he saves a life, he takes one…”

A friend lent me this book, he loved it. I know a lot of my friends struggled with it. I was both - I couldn’t put it down and can't stop thinking about it but I don’t know how I feel about Timothy - part disgusted, part attached?


“Discovered picking pockets at Coxford’s Corn Market, fourteen year old Sin is hunted across the city. Caught by the enigmatic Eldritch Moons, Sin is offered a way out of his life of crime: join the Covert Operations Group (COG) and train to become a spy.”

A steam punk, adventure story which keep me engaged and then left me sad when I finished as I wasn’t ready to leave the world the Gareth so beautifully crafted. 
“Veteran bookseller Elias Greig collects the best, worst and downright weirdest customer encounters from his years working as a Sydney bookseller."

This book really struck a chord with me as an ex bookseller. It was quick, easy to read but very funny and well presented. I also really enjoyed a moment when a customer asked for this book and the staff member on the desk tried to work out what the blue covered book might be called.


Lockwood and Co. Series – Jonathan Stroud
For more than fifty years, the country has been affected by a horrifying epidemic of ghosts. A number of Psychic Investigations Agencies have sprung up to destroy the dangerous apparitions. Lucy Carlyle, a talented young agent, arrives in London hoping for a notable career. Instead she finds herself joining the smallest, most ramshackle agency in the city”

Lockwood and Co. is a steampunk, adventure, ghost story, horror all rolled into one with a strong, female lead.  I demolished the whole series in a matter of days.

Captain Marvel is a 2019 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Carol Danvers. Set in 1995, the story follows Danvers as she becomes Captain Marvel after Earth is caught in the centre of a galactic conflict between two alien civilizations.”


I am currently working my way through all the Marvel movies and TV shows in chronological order. I really enjoyed this, a really strong female lead with a good dash of nostalgia thrown in.

All we can do is wait – Richard Lawson
In the hours after a bridge collapse rocks their city, a group of Boston teenagers meet in the waiting room of Massachusetts General Hospital”

Told from multiple perspectives, I spent hours piecing the story together and crying.

Living Big in a Tiny House – Bryce Langston
Exploring small-space design projects from New Zealand and around the world, a must-have resource for anyone interested in living well with less, packed full of ideas and inspiration for any aspiring tiny-house owner.”

I find Bryce’s YouTube channel fascinating and this book did not disappoint with its awesome photography and interesting write ups of many of the homes seen on said YouTube channel.

Broken Lands – Jonathan Maberry
Ever since her mother’s death, Gabriella “Gutsy” Gomez has spent her days flying under the radar. But when her mother’s undead body is returned to her doorstep from the grave and Gutsy witnesses a pack of ravagers digging up Los Muertos—her mother’s name for the undead—she realizes that life finds you no matter how hard you try to hide from it.”

I read the Rot and Ruin series in 2018 and loved that they are set 15 years AFTER the zombie apocalypse so I jumped at the chance to revisit this world and many of the same characters again

No comments:

Post a Comment