Thursday 16 March 2017

City of the Lost by Kelly Armstrong

Casey Duncan is a homicide detective with a desperate need to disappear. She has been living a shell of a life, always on the move, since she killed the grandson of a mobster in college. Her best friend, Diana, is on the run from her abusive ex-husband. After both their pasts begin to catch up with them they know it is time to leave. Quickly.

Through the great vine, Diana has heard of a place that helps you disappear, for a price. Although Casey has her doubts after some investigating both are accepted and must walk away from their old life into the Canadian wilderness. Rockton is an off grid town population: 200.

It soon becomes obvious that the only reason Casey was accepted is because she is the only trained homicide detective on the hunt for a safe passage. Rockton has just had its first murder and the bodies are beginning to pile up. Will Casey be able to find the killer before her and Diana are no longer safe again?

I almost did not give this book a go but something made me take it home. The blurb gave me the idea that there may be a supernatural element to the storyline which isn’t really my thing. Turns out I was wrong and thankfully I did as I read it in bed in one night!

City of the Lost was originally released as a 6 part eBook series before it was published in mid-2016.  Imagine my surprise (and excitement) when I found out that not only was this the beginning of a series but that the second book in the series was published early 2017. I have already devoured book two and am counting down the months until book three is released, or a date is even announced.

It is not often I come across a new crime author that I enjoy so much. I came into work raving about it to anyone that would listen and it turns out I had convinced another staff member to take it home and she enjoyed it as much as I did.


Reviewed by Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment