Thursday 30 May 2019

The Photographer's Guide to Posing - techniques to flatter everyone by Lindsay Adler

This brilliant tutorial book is written by a well known and respected current American portrait and fashion photographer. She has published five books, one of which (Fashion Flair for Portrait and Wedding Photography) was an Amazon Best Book in Art & Photography in 2011.

As well as teaching tours and workshops, Adler has a successful photography business, and a website that includes tutorials, a blog and portfolios of her work. https://www.lindsayadlerphotography.com/index

As a wedding & portrait photographer, this is the book I wish had been available when I was starting out, and now it is the book I wish I had all the skills to write! It has inspired me to improve my work, and guided me to spend time developing the skills to do this –and others can see the difference.

The friendly and conversational tone of the book draws you in, while giving you precise technical and professional information. Building on this, Adler explains 5 basic things than can ruin a pose. Even if this was as far as you read and applied, your images would show improvement! But keep reading, because this book just gets better!

The defining feature of this book, which sets it apart as exceptionally useable and accessible to all, is that every suggestion and situation is photographed clearly side by side, before & after. This allows you to see, study and understand exactly what the difference is between a good pose, and a great one –and then apply the principles to your own style.

I use this book frequently in my photography work, showing it to bridal parties and inexperienced models so that they can understand clearly why I am asking them to pose in a particular way –which will make their final images more flattering.

I would highly recommend Lindsay Adler’s ‘Posing’ to any photographer, and also my other favourite of hers ‘Shooting in Sh*ttyLight –the top ten worst photography lighting situations and how to conquer them.’ This also features real life examples and practical solutions which will increase your confidence and help you improve your images.

Reviewed by Elizabeth Palmer 

No comments:

Post a Comment