Thursday 23 April 2020

A Thousand Miles to Freedom by Eunsun Kim

The memoir of a refugee from North Korea.

So, it turns out I am woefully ignorant about world geography. I thought Korea was somewhere near the top of Australia… I can assure you I now know much better. Being in the 900’s (951.93 KIM), this, once again, isn’t my usual non-fiction fare. It taught me a lot. We don’t tend to hear a lot about North Korea down here, with all of the sanctions and laws against outside influence, so it was both heart-breaking and fascinating to me to read of so many people who were willing to risk everything, including their lives, in order to escape. I think this is an important read, and wonder if we should be having our young people read this type of thing while in school, rather than the same old, same old, sanitised text books, often written by someone with no first-hand knowledge.

Overall Rating: 4 stars

Reviewed by Li

Catalogue link:  A Thousand Miles to Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment